Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Return of the Fiber Fiend

For the past two weeks I've been spinning like a madwoman. I've finished 4 oz of Shetland: 725 yds, light fingering wt, Navajo plied, color: Rapunzel (fairy tale name to be explained later). It's for a 2-color vest I'm planning. The main color is a teal/vandyke brown variegated. The gold is finished, but I have yet to start the main color because.....

...I went to the Madrona Fiber Festival on Sunday. Dangerous dangerous! The fiber you see above is 8 oz of superwash Merino from Crown Mountain Farms, color: Wild Horses. You want more?
Crown Mountain Farms
8 oz superwash Merino
color: Lucy In The Sky
Crown Mountain Farms
4 oz baby camel & tussah silk (you can moan if you want) Blue Moon Fiber Arts
4.5 oz mulberry silk & superwash merino
color: Jabberwocky
Rainy Days & Wooly Dogs
4 oz Rambouillet
color: Contretemps
Chameleon Colorworks
4 oz Optim
color: Ophelia
Oh yeah, I got some yarn, too. BMFA STR lightweight, color: Shaun of Braun. Isn't it wonderfully obnoxious?

That's all for today. I'm spinning Wild Horses into a 3 ply - no, a REAL 3 ply. Y'know, the kind that uses 4 bobbins. No Navajo for that beauty. Two bobbins full and a third one almost full. Work is really cutting into my spinning time.

Other quick news:

-I'm going to get a Majacraft Rose. I've wanted one for a long time and damnit, I'm done wanting. It shall be mine. Once I get it I'm going to sell my Ashford Traveler to a friend of mine who wants to spin, wants a wheel, but can't quite afford one. So, she'll be getting a new-ish wheel for $150. Yes, she's excited. So am I.

- I've been knitting here and there. Mostly on my 3 and 1. The body is almost done. Almost. I may have to pick up a skein or two more for the sleeves.


2 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, Rapunzel is gorgeous. Spinning wool into gold--very nice.

I love the big squooshy variegated fiber pictures, though I lack the time to get into spinning. Glad I can get my fix here. Honestly, when I read about spinning, I read, "Blah blah blah plying blah blah blah spinning" but for some reason, I love reading about it anyway!

Stefaneener said...

Oh, you're both inspiring and disheartening. I have got to get my schedule straight so I actually do things. Sigh. Beautiful yarn!