Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Knitting for strangers

wheat grass in the windowsill - just a hint of spring

A woman in a German deli I went to today was admiring my shawl and asked if I would knit her one. I explained to her that it would take me a while to finish it and I didn't think she'd be willing to pay the price. She asked how much and I quoted "Um, $300, $400?"
"Okay."

Meringue for hot toddy cake. Thank you Gourmet magazine!

A second woman came up and said "Make me one in brown. I can afford it."

from organic pink lady apples...

First woman: "I want mine in green."

...to homemade apple and cheese pie with custard filling

Woman behind the counter: "You should start a business. You could really make some money."

undyed Wool of the Andes...

Me: "Apparently so."

...dyed fire engine red for a Bog Jacket

First woman: "Here's my card. Call me."

"Circusiana" 400 yds fingering wt. handspun felted tweed

Mutti and I turn to leave with our purchase (braunschweiger), "Brown! Tschus."

5 comments:

Chris said...

Who knew?! Dang. Are you going to?

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow, really? That's awesome!

allisonmariecat said...

Tee! I love it. I've never had anyone take me up on my outrageous knitting estimates. That's awesome. That could buy a lot of purty yarn...

Apple and cheese pie???? Um, recipe please!

Stefaneener said...

Yep, outrageously high prices are totally the way to go. In fact, raise your price and be exclusive!

You just rock, knittingwise. Of course they wanted some.

Anonymous said...

holy cow! people are so funny.