Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The best things for sickos

Blueberry lemon corn muffins are now in the number two spot on my list of The Best Things to Eat/Drink When You Are Sick. Number one has always been and will still be occupied by Tea with Honey and Lemon. Nothing finer. These muffins come close though. Real close. The recipe was sent to me by DJ a few months ago. I just made them today and I regret not making them sooner. Blueberries, lemon zest, and cornmeal are a match made in Muffin Heaven. I'd post the recipe, but I'd be breaking copyright law, I'm sure. Just take a basic muffin recipe and add the best bits. Voila. You'll probably get it right after the first few tries.
I also made Mushroom Soup, take two. The first time I fell in love with it and, as it turns out, that was not just beginners luck because this time it's just as good. Every time I make it I get further away from the original recipe, but who cares! That's what recipes are for: not following. I haven't found a way to successfully photograph mushroom soup in order to make it look appetizing. You'll just have to take my word for it. Delish.
Mutti made spectacular chicken noodle soup - number three on the list. Homemade stock, roasted chicken, lovingly sauteed onions, various herbs... as the Campbell's kids would say: MmmMmm. I've been living on soup and muffins and tea. Plenty of sleep as well.
There has been knitting! I'm working on a boring hand spun scarf (how can it be!? Boring? Hand spun? Can the two ever be found together? YES.), and monstrous Manos garter stitch scarf, and my FLS. The body is done - phew - and most of the first sleeve is knitted. I still haven't decided if I want 3/4-length sleeves or full length sleeves. I'm really sick of the gull stitch pattern. Really. Sick. Of. It. It's wearing on me like size 7 stilettos on a size 10 foot. Like cheap pine by heavy duty sand paper. Like the yappy dog next door who decides 3 am really is a good time to let you know who's boss. Not fun. I really just want to finish this. Quickly. Painlessly.

So, in order to make things better, I started another one. This one's for DJ's baby-to-be. Granted it is knit with cotton instead of wool and the color is a vast improvement, but surprise, surprise, it's still causing me grief. The body is almost done and I'm afraid that's as far as I can push it. Let us pray that I never have to give birth.Say good-bye to my wheel! It's going to a new home next week and I wish it the best of luck. I'm getting a Majacraft Rose and I really don't think I'll miss my Ashford at all after the Rose arrives. What Ashford? Did I have one? Really? Right now I'm just finishing up a three ply to clear off the bobbins and then it's Sayonara, good riddance, don't let the door hit your treadle on the way out.

Maybe that's a bit cruel.

Okay, we had some good times. That merino/silk was great, but I don't think it's going to work out.
It's not you, it's me.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Those muffins look amazing!

And your FLS - gorgeous color.

Stefaneener said...

Oh, a new wheel! when? What fun, what fun you will have. Nice muffins.

Magicstix said...

MMMM, Now I want a blueberry lemon corn muffin. But the season is over! wah!