Monday, October 27, 2008

It's about time for a knitting post isn't it? This post contains nothing but knitting. No food. No leaves. No cats.

I've been working on my Fair Isle cardigan here and there. Hope to have it done by December, at least. It fits great. I absolutely love the set-in sleeve from the top-down. There's no bagging around the under arms or the boobs. The 3-and-1 pattern repeat from The Opinionated Knitter is fun and easy. You can knit it in any color combination and it'll look just as good. The wrong side of the sweater (because I know you like it):
Laminaria is done. Laminaria has been done. I swear that I'll get around to taking some modeled pictures. Until then, please be satisfied with the old over-the-chair photos on Ravelry. It's big and warm and green. What more could I want from a shawl?
I've been spinning a little. I'm going to try spinning a cabled yarn which I've wanted to do for a while, but never really got around to until now. I have one bobbin full of singles and as soon as I fill another bobbin, I'm going to ply them together and get started on another bobbin of singles and so on and so forth. Hopefully, at the end of all this I'll have a 6 ply cabled yarn. I still love spinning Shetland wool.
I started yet another pair of mittens for my sister. At this rate I still won't have another pair of mittens for myself. These are thrummed mittens knit using Sleeping Dragon Sock Yarn and a thin piece of Shetland wool roving. Instead of making lots of thrums I'm using a strand of thin roving to carry along like fluffier stranded knitting. I'm very happy with the results so far and I think Di will love them. The thumbs will be topless (woo-woo!) and the mittens will be fingerless with a mitten flap so she can manhandle dog poop into bags. Every knitters dream: to have their knitting come into close proximity with crap. Yum. These are moving along quickly and I'd like to think I'll have them done soon-ish.
Remember this scarf? Of course you do. The Nightmare Before Christmas scarf (nothing to do with the movie) a.k.a. The Scarf That Never Ends. This sucker is long and I thank the knitting goddess that I'm finally on the last two balls of red and white yarn. So. Close.
The Sweet Lime sock has been seeing a little action. I finished turning the heel and started on the cabled/lace/ribbed part of the leg. May or may not write up a pattern. I might just throw all the charts I used on here and let you figure it out for yourself. Aren't I nice? Looking forward to having these done, but I know that's not going to happen this year.
On a non-knitting note (oh no!), I've been walking at least five miles every day. Today is an exception because I feel a little under the weather, but I'll get over it. The point of this non-knitting note? I got new walking shoes. Hooray!

4 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, my gosh, it's knitting overload!!! I love the fair isle cardigan. I am really intrigued by top-down with set-in sleeves. I've only ever done one of those elements at a time, and I hate raglan sleeves on me (or any woman with boobs).

Laminaria is STUNNING. Gorgeous, green, flowy. Awesome.

Spinning: neat-o! Hey, 'bobbin' is a funny word if you say it over and over. What can I say, I know beans about spinning, so it's all Greek to me.

Love the thrummed poop-handlers. Fuzzy, warm, too nice to be near poop.

Oh, wow, I remember that scarf from EONS ago! Wow.

Green socks, pretty. Hope you don't walk five miles in hand-knit socks :)

Stefaneener said...

Oh, what a lovely post (not that the cooking, etc. doesn't move me) because I find it so inspiring, as I let my knitting AND spinning languish untouched. Darned life and work! Darn! Darn!

Anyhow, the mitts are lovely and you crack me up. Good for you for walking -- it's been a MONTH since I've run and I miss it desperately. Again, maybe I'll get inspired to follow your lead.

Chris said...

Wow. I feel like such a slacker now! LOVE the light shining through Luminaria shot. Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you have been busy - love the Laminaria!